Sunday, September 15, 2013

Summer of 2013 Chapter 2


Chapter 2 of my summer happenings…...August was all about Friends…… beginning with Charlene Gray's 2-month visit to the central coast of California.  Charlene and I together with my friend, Susan, enjoyed a wonderful day in Santa Barbara taking in the Gem Faire and the wonderful shops and food of downtown.  

(Front:  Lynda Marcov; Me; Diana Salvucci-Smith; and Vickie Orlando.  Back: Charlene Gray and Sandy Navarro)

Next was our Girls' Art Retreat. See us above at Lynda Marcov's grand opening of her Willow Nest boutique in San Luis Obispo….a must see if you come this way.  We all gathered in my home studio for 4 glorious days sharing and creating.  We each took turns sharing an art project of our choosing.


First was my project … .we dabbled in bronze clay, etching, Gilder's Paste, cold joining and resin clay with the focus on creating a cuff.   Above Charlene is refining her dried piece preparing it to be fired.


Vickie is patiently appliquéing her pieces together….doesn't Vickie look beautiful…complete with silk blouse and beautiful jewelry….now this is designing with style!

Our completed cuffs. (Vickie and Susan were still working on their pieces at the time photos were taken…boo too they are not included.)

Diana Salvucci-Smith

Charlene Gray

Sandy Navarro

Me

What fun it was to see all of our individual personalities reflected in our pieces.  There were definitely some challenges along the way in this process but it was worth it.  I think part of the reward of designing is having the sense of accomplishment upon completion;  opening oneself up to change and spontaneity, and learning through trouble shooting. 


For the next two days, Vickie tutored us in the process of making these astonishing santos dolls using techniques she learned from Susan Bates Bezek along with her own.  Wow this was a fun project.  Thank you so much, Vickie, for all of the time and attention to detail you poured into those two days.  We all experiemented with different paints, crackles, stains, painting techniques, decoupaging, stamping; sewing, stuffing and all of the fine details that went into dressing each one.  I loved how they turned out in all of their finery.
(Sandy gifted me with this beautiful crown….I am so lucky!)

Take note of the crowns!!!  Yes we made those as well….taking our lead from the French General's Petite Beaded Crown tutorial….check it out on their site, and Sandy's one-on-one instruction.


Next, Sandy instructed us on the construction of these opulent, antique chandy cyrstal necklaces.  Simply stunning in person.  Thank you Sandy!

On the evening of the 4th day we all sat around in a circle in my studio as Diana Salvucci-Smith went over with us her techniques in creating the amazing art doll you see above.  We had all hoped to have time to take on that project as well, however, by this time we were completely saturated with art having gone full out from about 9:30 a.m. to 9 or 10 p.m. every day.  Oh my it was creating heaven.  All of us decided that this would be a project for our next Art Girls' Retreat.  

*********************
I have also spent some time in my studio designing pieces for a few shops including Willow Nest.  Here are a few pieces that are available there and at Willow Nest's booth at Marburger at Round Top for those of you in Texas:




********************************

Kim Caldwell Birthday Celebration


I finally had the opportunity to meet Kim Caldwell of Artistic Bliss Designs, when she and several of her friends dropped by the other day for a studio and home tour.  Such a pleasure to be included in her birthday celebration festivities.     For those of you who may not know Kim, I encourage you to visit her blog to garner the depth of her talent and activities.  From what I understand, the art events that she organizes and offers in So. Cal are over-the-top in every way.    A must see and do!

Maija and Julie

Some of Kim's friends celebrating with her for the extended weekend. 

Kim, Terry, Andrea and Cheryl
(sorry I don't have a photo of Mariasela and Sylvia)
Thank you, Andrea, for inviting me to be part of your special weekend.

****************

Now I am gathering supplies for my first Terri Brush Fall Art Camp in Lincoln City, Oregon.  I am going with a large group of my art sisters and am so looking forward to it.  Today I went to a local swap meet, taking the chance that I just might be able to find antique linens and laces for one of the Art Camp projects.  Usually I don't find much at our little swap meet.  Today was different.  OMG  I scored.  Out of all of the vendors, just one had antique treasures.  Above is just a sampling of the pieces I purchased ….early 1900's blouses with wonderful trims and laces; handmade doilies and tatting; vintage pearls from about the 40's; buttons and a framed photo that grabbed my heart.
JoAnna Pierotti apron

And something I have been looking for for a very long time for my manny Chloe….a vintage bustier…..new/old stock…fits her perfect (with a little help from trusty tissue paper….reminds me of junior high when tissue became my friend….hee, hee)   Now she can go out dancing.  

   As you can see this summer has been all about friends for me….so nurturing, so rewarding, so magical.

Wishing you all a bit of magic in your lives!!




8 comments:

bumblebee said...

I am drooling at all the wonderful creations you all did! I love each and everyone! I would like to bee one of your art girls for next retreat. honey hugs of love bz

Laurel's Quill said...

You and your sisters are amazing. Those cuffs!! what a nice post and feast for the eyes!. Laurel

Andrea said...

Diana!! All those projects were incredible!!! I have taken the french general crown class and LOVED it:) I think I need to butter up Miss Vickie at art camp to teach me those cage dolls;) They are fabulous! Again thank you so much for having us to your home it was beyond generous of you. See you in a few weeks. oregon here we come!!

Andrea said...

Diana!! All those projects were incredible!!! I have taken the french general crown class and LOVED it:) I think I need to butter up Miss Vickie at art camp to teach me those cage dolls;) They are fabulous! Again thank you so much for having us to your home it was beyond generous of you. See you in a few weeks. oregon here we come!!

sharon said...

Diana, I so love seeing all of your projects enjoyed with all of your friends! The cuffs and the santos are over the top gorgeous! I cannot even imagine you and Terri Brush together...wow! You are making me feel are shiny and blingy now, going to get out my rhinestones and pearls! This is some seriously beautiful work!

Vickie Orlando said...

Love, Love your post.....It felt so special to be included this summer in our spontaneous art retreat. I still can't believe how we all just relinquished our time to creating, every day it was a marathon of joy, laughter, eating, eating, helping, giving and healing our souls. We all were in the moment
As if time stood still. Love all the pictures. Diana this would not have been possible if you hadn't opened your home and studio to us. Actually if you had probably known we were going to be there so long, it could have been a 4 day pajama party. Maybe the next time!!!! So looking forward to Terri Brush Art Camp in a couple of weeks. love ya. Vickie

Charlene said...

Seeing the photos brought it all back!!!! I LOVED every minute of our time together! What fun we had! What treasures we made. Memories to hold dear. Friendships to treasure for sure. Love you & all my Art Sisters So Much!

Hugs!

Sandy Navarro said...

I'm late with this note but wanted to thank you again for the fabulous time we had together! Everything was perfect! Every project divine, every detail perfected and every heart and soul touched by one another. Do you have a date yet for the next one; our 2014 calendars are already filling up! LOL See you next week at Art Camp; are we there yet?
Hugs!